Wednesday 10 April 2013

Pure Maple Syrup Ice-cream (No egg recipe)







I think I have discovered a favourite way to make ice-cream. Alice Medrich, how utterly talented is she? Her recipes in ‘Pure Dessert’ yet again tell me that minimal ingredients and preparation still can yield very good results.

You see, I am not a big fan of making custard-based ice-cream. I just cannot bother to do it in hot weather. The texture, too, feels a little bit heavy after freezing. It was not until I discovered Alice Medrich’s recipe that I’ve managed to make ice-cream a bit more often. Her recipe contains no eggs, just cream and flavouring ingredients. It results in lighter and softer product. Even after sitting in the freezer for a lengthy period, the ice-cream texture is still soft-serve like, which I totally adore.

On Sunday I made ice-cream with just cream, a bit of milk, a pinch of salt and pure maple syrup. I used the organic dark maple syrup (Grade B) we carried all the way from the US. The deep, dark caramel flavours of maple syrup really shined through. It was such a marvellous recipe, a keeper!




(I took the photos when it was really hot. It melted so FAST! ARG!)



Pure Maple Syrup Ice-cream – the Recipe

(Based on “Pure Dessert”)

Note: because there are no yolks to thicken the ice-cream, it tends to melt quicker. I have an idea from Momofuku Milk Bar’s cereal ice-cream recipe that a bit of gelatine may help, but I have not tested it yet.

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dark organic maple syrup (Grade B if you can get it)
Scant 1/8 tsp salt
600ml heavy cream

Method
Heat the milk in a saucepan until barely simmer. Set aside to cool down to lukewarm, then pour in maple syrup and salt. Stir to dissolve. Stir in the cream, and chill overnight.

The next day, freeze the ice-cream according to your ice-cream maker’s instructions. I’ve found that with this recipe, extra churning time is required (but I got really hot and humid weather, too).

Serve soft or freeze in the freezer until hard to scoop. If the ice-cream gets too hard, leave to stand for a few minutes until scoopable.

Source : anhfoods.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment